Callan Tansey Solicitors, one of Ireland’s leading medical negligence* firms is hosting a Medicolegal seminar, ‘The Risky Miracle of Childbirth’ on International Women’s day, the 8th March at 2pm in the Galmont Hotel, Galway. Experts in the fields of obstetrics, midwifery and medical negligence litigation will speak about labour and delivery, as well as changes to the legal system, to make litigation less adversarial and time-consuming for those injured.
Johan Verbruggen, solicitor with Callan Tansey’s Medical Negligence Department was himself a victim of medical negligence. Johan explained, “Following a mismanaged labour and delivery, for which I required resuscitation, I was diagnosed with Erb’s palsy, a near-total paralysis of my right arm. My father, Karel, litigated successfully on my behalf against the Western Health Board in December 1996. I am privileged to help others affected by circumstances similar to mine, and I look forward to speaking about a topic so close to my heart.
Roger Murray, Managing Partner said, “The conference has something for everyone: doctors, lawyers, Third Level students and most importantly, those who have been affected by a traumatic birth”.
An outstanding line-up of leading medical and legal experts will be speaking:
- Dr. John O’Mahony SC who has acted in some of the largest medical negligence cases before the courts;
- Professor Valerie Smith is a prominent midwifery expert on matters such as foetal wellbeing, preterm birth and intrapartum care;
- Ruth Finnerty of RDJ Solicitors has extensive experience in advising healthcare professionals and hospitals in the defence of medical claims;
- Dr. Charles O Mahony is the Head of NUIG’s School of Law and he completed a PhD in Disability Law and Policy;
- Mr. Patrick B Forbes, Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology has 20 years’ medicolegal work, acting for Plaintiffs and Defendants.
Limited places are available for this Medicolegal event; tickets can be purchased via Eventbrite here. for just €75.
Some of the proceeds will go to the Galway Speeders, a sports organisation for people of all ages with a physical disability, a truly great cause.